Thursday, January 30, 2014

Quick, hide the rice

Okay since the fridge was so empty after my massive cleaning the other day and the cupboards are not looking so hot at this point in time either due to my very intentional pantry inventory reduction program, I had to get creative last night with supper.  The only leftover item in my refrigerator (other than milk, eggs and bread) was about a cup and a half of a rice mix that was not so popular the first time around; There were a lot of "gross" and "Yuck, I don't like this" kind of comments when I served it the first time.  So my goal for the evening's meal quickly became to hide the rice in order to trick my family into eating it a second time!   I think I did alright with the challenge.  Here's the new recipe affectionately named... 

 Hide the rice casserole
(I told the kids they were enchilladas so as not to tip them off to my sneaky ways)

1.5 cups of leftover rice that you trying to use up
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can Campbells Nacho Cheese Soup
1/2 pound of ground venison (or beef if that's what you have in your freezer) seasoned with a dash each of taco seasoning and cumin
8 wholewheat tortilla wraps (I like Santa Fe Tortilla Factory brand. You can get them on the cheap at Sam's Club)

Mix all this together and stuff it inside wholewheat tortillas.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until warm.  Serve with guacamole, sour cream and salsa  or your other favorite, non-expired, condiments and ENJOY!

Rave  reviews:  this new recipe received 5 out of a possible 5 stars from all 5 family members.  It's a keeper!  I got rid of the rice without my family becoming suspicious or having to feed it to the chickens. And most importantly, before I  had to worry about bacteria counts or if it was too old.  I count this as a HUGE victory!

I need to get Campbells and Santa Fe Tortilla Factory on board with advertising any marketing people out there know how to approach that idea!?

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment