Monday, March 24, 2014

Hot hands

My greatest success this weekend, other than not dying on the side of the road near the end of a 15 mile run, was that I used up a large Ziploc full of frozen jalapenos out of the freezer.  I am going to get to the bottom of that freezer if it kills me!  And it just might...

I had frozen the jalapenos whole at the end of last year's gardening season.  I recall clearly asking my parents if I could freeze them this way because I was inexperienced with preparing jalapenos and I had all kinds of insecurities surrounding my ability to properly prepare those spicy, little delicacies.  I was determined to pull it off though, because I always love when my mom makes them and I was feeling ambitious.  Yes, I had visions of me blissfully preparing, baking and eating them in the middle of winter when jalapenos are scarce.  I knew they would be oh so tasty.

My dad assured me that they freeze them in this manner all the time.  What he failed to mention is that when you freeze them whole with the seeds inside them, their heat index increases exponentially!  Maybe he didn't know or maybe he tried to sabotage my attempt at recreating my mother's poppers.  I don't know. But I do know that really HOT PEPPERS are the result of this freezing process.  Anyhow, I was a virgin at preparing stuffed jalapenos myself so I created a recipe with random leftover stuff from my our cupboards and fridge (for a change none of it was outdated!). I baked them carefully, with the most important special ingredient, "LOVE",  and then I sampled one to see if they were acceptable to serve at the euchre party we were hosting... 

Via @Theremina. #butts

They say a picture tells a thousand words.  Well this picture pretty well sums up my weekend and I suspect a few other guest's weekends as well!  My hands are still spicy and if I accidentally touch my eyes they tear up.  I won't even go into details of my bathroom usage this weekend that would most certainly be crossing the line.  Enough said.

PS For the record, the peppers actually did taste okay if you could get past the intense fiery heat!

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment