Monday, May 26, 2014

Pigroast aftermath

People don't generally think about the pigroast aftermath when they are planning a pigroast.  I mean seriously who thinks about the fifty (or more) pounds of leftover pork that will be generated when they decide to roast a hog? No one, that's who.   They just don't.  They focus on the delectable, down right scrumptious, meal that they will serve friends and family.  They think about the prestige and the reputation that comes with providing the experience.  They think of the fond memories they will create with their friends and family at the unforgettable pigroast. But no one thinks about the reality of the leftovers.

Well last weekend my husband roasted a hog for the highschool graduation of a family member and it was fantastic, but we now have I would say conservatively 20 pounds of leftover pork;  And I am certain many family members find themselves in the same boat as I...trying deseperately to row themselves away from the pigroast aftermath cesspool and back to shore where normal dining habits can resume.  I am trying to find creative ways to use the pork, but it is getting more and more difficult and I may drown....in leftover pork!  Given the food challenge we are amidst, one would think that I would be elated to have lots of tasty roasted hog to dine on and I am, but I am also out of fresh ideas to use it up.

Pork in the morning. Pork in the midday. Pork in the evening. Pork!  We have had all the regulars. Pork barbecue for dinner. Cold pork sandwiches for lunch. Pork omelets for breakfast!  Pork!  Our greatest success was the pork casserole with a southwest flare. 

(I must confess that while I have been fairly successful at using up the pork I did surrender to it today and I placed the last bag of it in our freezer.  I just hope I don't find it in eleven years when I next clean my freezer!)

Fiesta Pork Casserole

2 pounds pork
1 can black beans
1 can fiesta nacho cheese soup
1 can tomatoes and green chilis
1 cup sour cream (lowfat)
2 cups brown rice cooked
1 cup shredded cheese

Combine top 6 ingredients and bake for 350 for 40 minutes or until bubbly around edges.  Add cheese to the top and put back in oven for 10 minutes to melt cheese.  Let set for 5 minutes and serve.

Check it out!  Absolutely AWESOME!  And I had already eaten pork every day for a week before I made this!

 Too lazy to take a better picture,
but it was actually delicious despite what it looks like!

A few days after the pigroast, I received a starter bag for amish friendship bread which honestly isn't that friendly of a gift because it basically means that you have to spend about 10 days babysitting a bag of sticky goop. And if you happen to forget about it, it will explode into an unbelievable mess like none other.  At least that is what I've been told, but because I take such good care of my goop I have never experienced this explosion myself. Anyhow,  I was feeling brave (or possibly stupid) when my sister's mother in law offered me a loaf of bread with the stipulation that I take the bag of starter goop, and I took it! Hook, line and sinker!
 Amish bread!  A seriously delicious endeavor
almost worth babysitting disgusting goop for a week!

As I mentioned last time I was on here (like a lifetime ago!), I made bacon crisps for book club and they were divine!  Remember, for these tasty appetizers all you do is buy club crackers place a good sized pile of fresh parmesan cheese on top and a splash of your favorite hot sauce and wrap a half slice of bacon around the whole darn thing and bake them for about an hour and a half at 200 degrees (or until the bacon is done) and you will think you have died and gone to heaven. For real!  They are so good.  Try it! They are so worth the calories.


 The bacon crisps from bookclub.  SO GOOD!
Come a little closer...You look sooo amazing!

We also went camping for the holiday weekend and I won't lie I cheated on the camping preparation shopping trip.  It was in the name of family tradition and so that we didn't get stuck living off eggs, ramen noodles  and stale popcorn while camping because that would just SUCK .  We ate pizza sandwiches, hotdogs, s'mores, more hotdogs, more pizza sandwiches and more hotdogs and more s'mores and then I had some gouda cheese because I literally couldn't eat another single hotdog or god forbid a pizza sandwich!  And then my husband went and created a new sandwich that is seriously so good that I can't tell you about it until we get a patent on it because forget about all those fancy plans with numbers and letters like 401k these breakfast sandwiches are now our retirement plan! Once we get our patent form approved, I will share them with you. I promise!  

For now, that is all!


Vern Out


No comments:

Post a Comment