Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Let freedom ring!

I have been as happy as a clam lately...but also as busy as a beaver so I have not had time to get my camping story put together...it is still a scrambled mess inside my head...that will be published later next week; Possibly in the form of scrambled eggs since that is what we have been living off recently.  No, I am not kidding.  The chickens have been laying lots of fresh eggs for us  to enjoy! Suffice it to say, "We love egg sandwiches!"  So everyone at our house is as happy as a witch in a broom factory (stole that one from Geiko but since I gave them credit I think it is okay). ***Egg sandwiches are especially delightful with home-made mustard and gouda cheese on top!

 
The chickens were nestled all snug in their coop while visions of breadcrumbs danced in their heads!

On a somewhat related note, we cleaned the work refrigerator a few weeks ago while my boss was on vacation and I will say that the experience left me feeling much better about all of the expired foods that I have fed my family during the past six months.  There were a LOT of expired items in there and some of them were YEARS expired.  Of course, I don't believe anyone one was actually eating these vastly outdated foods, but still it was somewhat comforting to me.

I have not grocery shopped much lately because of the busy status that I mentioned earlier. I seriously have not had time to shop.  However,  I will be buying the items necessary to make this recipe from one of my favorite modern country ladies Ree Drummond, author of High Heels to Tractor Wheels,  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/05/quinoa-with-tomato-basil-and-mozzarella/  I do loathe traditional potato salad so terribly much so I am offering up this nutritional alternative for those at our annual family Independence Day gathering!  Quinoa with Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella!  And I can't wait to try it!  I seriously just had to wipe drool off my keyboard.  While I hate potato salad, I find this quote to be spot on and hilarious and man do I love Erma. Check it out!

You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness.  You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism.  ~Erma Bombeck

and Happy Fourth of July everyone!

Vern Out




No comments:

Post a Comment