Monday, October 13, 2014

Gouda and Guacamole Redemption

I am starting fresh.  I junked all of those other six partially created posts and I am going to just start over.  It is a good old fashioned "do over". I hope I don't disappoint!

Random thought of the day:  I have to quit letting my four-year old do my hair before I go out into public. This is important because I tend to forget that she has done my hair and then find myself wondering if my fly is down or my nose is dripping snot (or something worse) when I am talking to people because they have a hard time focusing on my face with all the crazy hair going on...But it is just so much FUN to play beauty parlor and beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?!

Anyhow, today I completely kicked my own arse by running nine miles on trails at a pace much too fast for my own good.  I shall pay for this the next couple of days.  Right now I am sitting here barely able to move, yet feeling quite accomplished.  I guess nothing comes without a price even a good RUN!  And not only did I kick my own arse running, but I also managed to cook my family a real meal!  It was truly SHOCKING to them because dinner the past few weeks has been meager at best.  Pathetic in reality.  We have had frozen pizza, leftover frozen pizza, junk food dinner night (let's just say our cholesterol levels all rose considerably that evening) and off brand, macaroni and cheese out of a box to name just a few of the horrifying dinners that I have served up in the past month.  I have just been uninspired in the kitchen lately.  It is quite sad because I generally enjoy cooking and lately it feels like a chore.

Tonight I redeemed myself ever so slightly though.  Check it out!  For the filling, I combined chicken, cream cheese, salsa, black beans and smoked gouda cheese (in the grown-up version) and co-jack cheese (in the kid's variety)
Of course redemption came in the form of GOUDA!

Then I wrapped it all up in whole wheat tortilla and baked them!  Delicious!  The gouda was the perfect compliment to the other flavors and made it unique.  I whipped up a batch of fresh guacamole  to put on top and voila dinner! I think my entire family would agree, it was absolutely magical.

Gouda and Guacamole Mexican Mess Enchiladas!


So I feel like I am back in the saddle; on the mend; amid an upswing or whatever else descriptively means that you are starting to heal.  Life is definitely looking up and who knows maybe I will even be able to get out of bed unassisted in the morning.  I doubt it, but maybe...

PS Most important update: Dad is doing great and he is still not smoking!

Vern Out

No comments:

Post a Comment